Were skipping ahead to March today. Forget winter. Forget snow. I’m thinking spring. Well, actually not quite Spring. St. Patrick’s Day. Pretty much every holiday is my favorite due to the food. But, St. Patrick’s Day is extra good. I love corned beef. Really, really, love it. It is usually on sale around St. Patrick’s Day so i buy a bunch of briskets to cook throughout the year. In my mind there is nothing better that corned beef, carrots, and potatoes. No Cabbage or beer for me. I will, however, take a shamrock shake.
Cliff loves corned beef as much as I do. We are a match made it heaven. Ha! He especially likes reuben sandwiches. I, on the other hand, could go my whole life without eating a reuben sandwich. Sauer kraut just doesn’t do it for me. Even though I don’t like reubens I still like to get a little creative with the idea of reubens and turn them into something else like dip and eggrolls. Got to keep the husband happy after all. If you are like me and don’t care for sauer kraut then just skip it.
- 1-2 tbsp oil
- 4 8 inch tortillas
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1/4 lb cored beef, cut into small strips
- 1 cup sauer kraut
- thousand island dressing
- Squeeze the excess water out of the sauer kraut.
- Shred the gruyere cheese.
- Cut the meat into small strips.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat.
- Place 1 tortilla in the pan and layer your filling- cheese, meat, sauer kraut.
- Top with another tortilla.
- Cook about 1 minute and flip over.
- Cook 1 additional minute or until cheese is melted.
- Regulate the heat so that the tortillas don’t burn.
- Repeat with the additional tortillas.
- Serve with thousand island dressing for dipping.