When Kelly mentioned wanting to make a recipe with parsnips and turnips I admit I was apprehensive. To be honest, I’d never had a parsnip or a turnip in my life. I think that parsnips and turnips are a lot like brussel sprouts. Not in taste but in stereotype. People assume they don’t like them without even trying. Myself included. One sure way to make me love a vegetable is to roast it. Roasted vegetables are my favorite. Add some garlic and its nearly always a homerun.
I was shocked at how much I liked these root vegetables. Especially the parsnips. They were amazing. They reminded me of sweet potatoes. They were a little sweet. Out of all of the vegetables in this dish the parsnips were my favorite. Even over potatoes. That is saying a lot because I LOVE potatoes. We used purple and red potatoes just for some added color but you could throw in anything you have in your veggie bin. We added a little dill for freshness and that is it. These seriously tasted like candy. Even the beets were good, and that is really saying a lot!
Rainbow Roasted Root Vegetables
- 1-2 beets, peeled
- 1-2 carrots, peeled
- 1 lb baby red or purple potatoes
- 1 turnip, peeled
- 2 parsnips, peeled
- 1 bunch of dill, fresh
- 2 cloves of garlic,minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut all the vegetables into similarly sized pieces.
- Combine the olive oil a couple handfuls of dill and the minced garlic.
- Coat the vegetables in the oil mixture.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the vegetables begin to brown and you can pierce them with a fork.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.