It’s National Grilled Cheese Month! We didn’t miss it! Neither Kara or I keep up very well with the many food holidays but I happened to see a sign about National Grilled Cheese Month in my work cafeteria and immediately told Kara. We brainstormed a bit and finally decided on a breakfast grilled cheese. #genius
The hash browns are what made this grilled cheese extra special, if you ask me. I LOOVEEE hash browns! Buttery bread, cheese, creamy scrambled eggs, bacon and hash browns…all grilled to gooey perfection. That couldn’t possibly be bad!
We choose a ciabatta because it held up well to all the layers in our grilled cheese and then we went with pepper jack cheese for a subtle kick. We added a dash of sriracha to the eggs too, another layer of heat. If you aren’t into spicy you could easily skip the sriracha and substitute the pepper jack for another cheese: mozzarella, American, fontina, cheddar, pretty much any melty cheese.
Your breakfast cheese will turn out fantastic no matter what!
Breakfast Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices ciabatta bread
- 4 tbsp butter, softened
- 2 pieces bacon, cooked until crisp and cut in half
- 2 slices pepper jack cheese, cut in half
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup frozen hash browns, thawed
- 1/4 cup half & half
- 2 tsp sriracha (or hot sauce), optional
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Butter the outsides of 4 slices of ciabatta bread and set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a medium skillet. Cook the hash browns, according to package instructions, until lightly browned and crisp. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, vigorously whisk together eggs and half & half. Once whisked, season with salt and pepper. Heat a medium skillet with a pat of butter. Reduce heat to medium-low and pour in the egg mixture. Let the eggs sit for a minute before stirring, you want them to start to set. Use a wooden spoon to scrape the eggs from the edge of the pan to the center. Cook until no longer liquid then transfer to a plate.
- Assemble your grilled cheese. Lay out the bread, butter side down. Start with a slice of cheese, a scoop of hash browns, some scrambled eggs and 2 (halved) slices of bacon. Top with another slice of cheese.
- In a large skillet, heat another pat of butter. Cook the grilled cheese low and slow. You want the bread to be lightly browned and the cheese to be melted. All the components are already cooked so you’re just looking for the right consistencies.