Who can resist a good burger? Not I. Burgers are really fun to make because the possibilites are endless. First you have to choose your meat. Or maybe not even meat. Portabello mushrooms make great replacements for meat. Once that is decided you need to choose your mix ins. Some times I add dry ranch mix, shredded cheddar, mushrooms, or blue cheese. Once that is decided you choose your cheese. Burgers always need cheese. Then there are toppings to decide on and your choice of bun. My favorite kind of bun is either brioche or pretzel. A really great bun makes all the difference. Who could say no to a great set of buns?
A few weeks ago I went to a local restaurant with my girlfriends. I ordered the brie burger and subbed mushrooms for the onions. It was amazing! Seriously one of the best burgers I have ever had! I knew Cliff would love it too so we made them for dinner that week as well. We kept the burger simple, just garlic and s&p, but loaded it up with cheese and mushrooms. Brie has a fairly strong flavor so I didn’t want the meat to be overly complicated. The brie just oozes all over the meat and then load the mushrooms on top! And of course, the brioche bun makes it all that much better. I much prefer a good bakery bun over those cheapy hamburger buns you usually see. Seriously makes all the difference.
Brie Burgers on Brioche
- 1/2 lb ground sirloin
- 4 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 4 oz brie cheese
- 8 oz sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 3 tbsp butter, divided
- 2 brioche buns
- Heat the butter in a saute pan over medium high heat.
- Once melted, add the garlic.
- Saute until fragrant and add the mushrooms.
- Stir frequently.
- Cook about 10 minutes and remove from heat.
- Pre heat the grill over high heat.
- Spread 1/2 tablespoon on each bun.
- Combine the remaining garlic with the ground meat.
- Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Mix well and form into patties.
- Grill the buns about 2 minutes and set aside.
- Grill the burgers about 3 minutes.
- Flip, top with the brie, and grill an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Place the burger on a bun, top with lots of mushrooms and the other half of the bun
- Serve immediately.