If there is one thing I’ve learned since having Winnie it is that when babies want food, they want it quick. I used to be able to sit Winnie in her highchair and she’d play and watch while I made pancakes. No way that will happen anymore. She wants to be moving all the time. She won’t even swing at the park. Too boring. She wants to climb, run, slide. Anything but sitting still. I have to have her breakfast ready quick! I usually make a big batch of pancakes on Sundays and throw a couple in the toaster oven every morning. I don’t want her to get bored of pancakes though so I decided to make a french toast bake. I put everything together on Saturday afternoon and then popped it in the oven before she woke up Sunday morning. It was a good change of pace and she gobbled it up.
The girl loves blueberries and bread so I knew this would be a winner. When I ask her in the morning what she wants to eat she says boo-berries. Girl knows what she wants! I can’t deny my Winnie her boo-berries. This worked out really well; she ate fresh blueberry french toast bake on Sunday and she has had leftover ever since. No complaints! I used fresh blueberries but you could do frozen too. Or, add other berries. This is a great make ahead breakfast that requires very little effort.
Blueberry French Toast Bake
- 4 cup challah bread, cubed
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup blueberries
- 8 oz cream cheese
- Dry out the cubed bread either by letting it sit out overnight or cooking for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the eggs, vanilla, and milk and beat until slightly frothy.
- Place half of the cubed bread in a greased 8 x 8 glass dish.
- Add half of the cubed cream cheese and half of the blueberries.
- Repeat with the remaining bread, blueberries, and cream cheese.
- Pour the milk/egg mixture over everything.
- Place in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next morning pre heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 30 minutes covered with foil and 20 minutes uncovered.
- Let sit for about 10 minutes before serving.