First things first. Is this a relish? Am I using that term correctly? Would salsa be a better term? Chutney? I think relish sounds fancy so I am going with it. Crossing my fingers that this is close enough to a relish so that I do not look completely clueless. If it is not a relish please, just don’t tell me. I am totally going to dream about my (possible) incorrect use of the term relish tonight. It is going to haunt me, but I will not Google it. Nope. Not doing it. I am going with relish, no turning back now.
This relish? It’s fantastic. Simple, light, flavorful. Add it to the top of a grilled chicken sandwich and you have a match made in heaven. I love the combination of chicken, peanut sauce, and cucumbers. Seems an unlikely pairing -the cucumber kind of throws it off, but its good. I promise. This is another great summertime meal. Marinate the chicken before you leave for work. Come home and chop some veg and you are almost done. Only thing left to do is grill the chicken. Easy meals like this leave lots of time in the evening to indulge in Orange is the New Black! Guilty pleasure, but I can’t help it.
Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Cucumber Relish
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 chicken breast
- 2 ciabatta buns
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Combine the first 3 ingredients for the marinade.
- Pound the chicken so it is even.
- Cut the piece of chicken in half.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover the chicken in the marinade and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Combine the ingredients for the relish, set aside.
- Turn the grill on medium high.
- Grill the chicken for about 5 minutes per side, brushing with marinade half way through.
- Place the grilled chicken on a bun and top with the cucumber relish.