Has anybody made homemade banana chips before? If you have I would love to hear if it’s easy and if they turned out good. I love banana chips and am a regular buyer of the banana chips from the bulk section at Mariano’s. I like to snack on them like chips, add them to oatmeal, yogurt parfaits and now my newest fave…granola bars!
We made these granola bars last weekend. I thought they turned out fab. The slight spice from the candied ginger was an unexpected but welcome surprise. Winnie liked these Banana Chip Granola Bars too, though I think she preferred handing me bites to eat rather than eat it herself.
One thing I noticed…even though I pressed the bars firmly into the baking dish, some of the edges still came out a bit on the crumbly side. I ended up keeping the intact bars as granola bars and the crumbles for my yogurt so I’d say it was a win win.
Banana Chip Granola Bars with Candied Ginger
- 2 cup quick oats
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup dried banana chips, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup candied ginger, roughly chopped
- Line an 8×8 inch baking dish with parchment paper so that the paper hangs over the edges
- In a large bowl, combine oats, wheat germ and salt.
- In a small saucepan, heat honey, peanut butter, and vanilla. Stir constantly until melted and smooth. Bring mixture to a boil and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Pour peanut butter over oat mixture and stir until fully coated. Stir in banana chips and candied ginger last.
- Transfer mixture to lined baking dish. Press firmly into the bottom of dish.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours before cutting into bars or squares.
- Store in an airtight container.