Boo! I have a spooky, scary, creepy crawly recipe for you today. Wait, no I don’t. Wah wah. But I do have creamy dreamy pasta and let’s get real…nothing beats pasta!
To be honest, I’m kind of shocked we haven’t done a tomato sauce with gorgonzola crumbles already. What were we waiting for for crying out loud? Gorgonzola cheese is delicious…and Kara, Cliff and I are equally into it. It took us several years but we finally created a tomato sauce infused with gorgonzola cheese. #worththewait
Because we love gorgonzola we added a heaping 3/4 cup of it. If you want a more subtle flavor then add less, obviously. But that sounds terrible. We decided to go with gemelli pasta, which is spiral shaped…very similar to a rotini. The reason we went with gemelli is because it has lots of crevices meaning it holds a lot of sauce! We like to keep it saucy at LLP. But any pasta will do.
I hope you enjoy this pasta as much as we did.
Happy Halloween every one!
Pasta with Creamy Tomato Gorgonzola Sauce
- 1 lb pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 yellow onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 15 oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3/4 cup Gorgonzola cheese crumbles
- handful fresh basil, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until translucent and softened, 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes and saute, just until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the tomato sauce, heavy cream, salt and sugar. Bring to a simmer then reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 15 minutes.
- Next, add plenty of freshly ground black pepper as well as the Gorgonzola crumbles. Stir until the cheese melts into the sauce.
- While the sauce is simmering, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water generously and add the pasta. Cook to al dente, according to package directions.
- Drain pasta and reserve about 1 cup of pasta water. We didn’t end up needing it but always like to take some, just in case.
- Toss the pasta in creamy sauce and top fresh basil.
Adapted from Apples and Sparkle