I am really super excited to share this recipe with you today. We have not been featuring as many desserts on here lately because well, unhealthy. I am constantly seeing awesome looking desserts on blogs which I forward to Kelly but we cannot make them all. I really wish we could though. Truly Kelly and I would do an all dessert baking blog if it were up to us. In a page full of food pics my eyes will always go straight to the desserts. I barely even notice anything else. Occasionally I will take notice of a cheesy appetizer. Since we are not featuring as many desserts we have to be very picky about what we do post. They have to be the BEST recipes. And this is one.
Kelly and I have been talking about doing a sweet potato dessert forever but never got around to it. When I saw this recipe I knew this was the one. Sweet potatoes plus salted caramel sauce? Love. We did not grow up eating sweet potatoes and actually I don’t think i’d even tried a sweet potato until maybe 4 years ago. But now I am all about the sweet potatoes. So delicious. And this sweet potato bundt cake is no exception. I brought this one to work and everyone that tried it really enjoyed it. The people I work with tend to prefer less sweet desserts so this was perfect. The only changes we made were not including cardamon (not my favorite) and using store bought salted caramel sauce. I have had the worst luck lately making caramel sauces and it just was not worth it to me. So store bought worked out just fine. If you are a pro at making your own caramel sauce then do that. If not, don’t worry. This cake is a little sweet, has some fall spice flavors going on and is very moist. In other words, you should make this for Thanksgiving for sure!
Spiced Sweet Potato Bundt Cake
- 1 whole sweet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cup flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 jar salted caramel sauce
- Boil the peeled and cubed sweet potato until tender; drain and allow to cool.
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour the bundt pan.
- In a medium bowl combine the milk, vinegar, syrup and vanilla.
- In another medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and ground ginger.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer beat together the brown sugar and butter.
- Add the eggs and coninute beating until incorporated.
- Mash the cooled potatoes and add to the bowl with the milk.
- Alternate adding the dry and wet ingredients to the mixer.
- Add the dry, wet, dry, wet, dry until everything is well incorporated.
- Transfer the batter into a bundt pan and bake for 45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Turn the cake over and remove from pan.
- Heat the caramel sauce in the microwave for about 20 seconds.
- Drizzle the cooled cake with the caramel sauce.
Adapted from Jeanie and Lulu’s Kitchen