This is one of my favorite recipe finds in a long time and I’m so excited to share it with you!
These Shrimp Toasts come together in under 20 minutes and they are BEYOND delicious. BEYOND. However, be warned…the process of making them was a bit unappetizing. Working with raw shrimp mousse is a little…icky. But when they’re done frying you end up with a beautiful pink center and golden crisp outside.
A coworker told me abut shrimp toasts; she raved about them after ordering at Chinese restaurants in the past. I have never seen them on a menu. Have you? Anyways, I decided to give homemade shrimp toasts a try and I really fell in love. I’ll definitely make them again and I think you should too.
Side Note: Winnie absolutely LOVED these.
Side Note 2: We wondered how these would reheat so we popped a few in the freezer and we’ll reheat them in the oven. We’ll let you know how that works! After all, if they are delicious AND reheat well we might have found the world’s best recipe.
Here’s what you’ll need
Pulse together shrimp, eggs, salt, chives and ginger
Remove the crusts from the bread and cut them into 4 triangles
Spread evenly with shrimp mousse (I know it looks unappetizing at this point)
Now dip in bread cumbs
Fry until golden brown
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 egg
- 1/16 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp chives, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, skin removed and roughly chopped
- 5 slices of white bread, crusts removed, cut into 4 triangles
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- oil for frying
- Pulse shrimp, egg, ginger and salt in food processor until mostly smooth though some lumps in the shrimp mousse is fine. Add in chives and pulse again, until the chives are incorporated.
- Evenly spread shrimp mousse on top of each triangle, about 2 tablespoons per triangle.
- Add oil to a large skillet, about 1 inch deep. Bring oil to a medium-high heat.
- Dip shrimp mousse side of toast into breadcrumbs, so that it covers the shrimp mousse.
- Place, shrimp side down, into the hot oil. When the bottoms turns golden, carefully turn it over and fry until toast side is also golden, about 1 minute per side. You can cook a few at a time.
- Place on a paper tile-lined plate while you fry the rest of the shrimp toasts. Season lightly with kosher salt. Serve immediately.
- We served ours with sweet and sour sauce for dipping.